Re: Java and the FSSTND

Bruce Thompson (bruce@otherother.com)
Sun, 2 Jun 1996 07:24:57 -0700

At 13:25 06/02/96, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
>In linux.dev.kernel, article <199605291834.NAA12438@chaos.coredcs.com>,
> "James R. Leu" <jleu@coredcs.com> writes:
>> >
>> > I hope you don't mean the absolute pathname of the interpreter.
>> > Interpreted scripts/files/whatever shouldn't have to know where
>> > the interpreter is installed.
>>
>> Forgive me if I'm out of context, but what about #!/bin/sh at the head of all
>> borne shell "interperated" scripts?
>>
>Make that "interpreted _text_ scripts", then.
>
>There's no way to prefix #!/bin/java to the bytecode of an applet.
>Or /bin/forth to the restartable dictionary dump of your favorite Forth
>interpreter. Or ...

If these files can be stored in ELF format then isn't there already
provision for naming an interpreter in the section headers?

Cheers,
Bruce.

Bruce Thompson                  | "Rumors of our death have been greatly
Developer Technical Support     |  exaggerated."
Newton Systems Group            |      - Employees of Apple Computer, Inc.
Apple Computer, Inc.            |
bruce@newton.apple.com          | "Don't believe half of what you hear,
bthompson@applelink.apple.com   |  and most of what you read in the papers"
bruce@otherother.com            |      - Me

I don't speak for Apple, my opinions are strictly my own.