Re: noblink (was Re: [POSIX.6] Patches uploaded)

athan@mersinet.co.uk
2 Jun 1996 02:31:00 GMT

In article <Pine.SUN.3.93.960601174350.18463A-100000@eskimo.com>,
Mark Devlin <markd@eskimo.COM> wrote:
>On 1 Jun 1996 athan@mersinet.co.uk wrote:
>
>> In article <9606011615.AA42825@typhoon.seas.ucla.edu>,
>> <jerijian@seas.ucla.EDU> wrote:
>> > There's at least one interesting patch which I use every day.
>> >The noblink package turns the Linux console cursor from a
>> >hardware-generated blinking one to a software-generated block cursor.
>>
>> Yup, noblink is very nice, especially on portables, those darned LCD
>> screens.
>
>I may be out of it, and this may be off-topic, but doesn't setterm do this?
>setterm -blink on|off

How about colour cursors? Does setterm do BLOCK cursor rather
than underline too? the noblink package does... give it a go... It was
really written for LCD displays (it is VERY hard spotting an underline
cursor on an LCD display after scrolling a bit), but I'd use it on a
'normal' screen too, I like having a blue cursor *8-)

-Neil

* Neil Soveran-Charley, System Administrator, Mersinet Internet Services *
* Email: N.P.Soveran-Charley@mersinet.co.uk                              *