Re: INIT: error reading initrequest - need help!

Wed, 15 May 1996 21:30:43 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 15 May 1996, Mick Ghazey wrote:

> INIT: error reading initrequest
>
> That's the error I get when shutting down the system. An uncountable
> number of screens are filled with that error. Occasionally, I can see
> other messages but they go by too fast to read.

The handling of FIFO's changed, get a more up to date SysVInit package
(see below) ....

> Also, on startup pidof gives me various error messages. The all seem
> to be something like "pidof: can't open /proc/125/cmdline" and
> "pidof: can't read /proc/125/stat".

.... and procps package, look in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes,
that should help.

> Can anyone make any sense of this or help me find a way to track it
> down?
>
> This all started after installing the pre-release kernel. I'm not
> using modules but kerneld is enabled. I should also mention that iBCS
> complains about running on a different kernel than it was compiled
> on. But I don't know where to find the source to iBCS! I can't find
> any reference to it in man pages, apropos, etc.

I'm not sure, but do you use it ? There's no point upgrading if you
don't, but I think you can find it in
tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/ALPHA/iBCS, or it could be in
/pub/linux/BETA/... I'm not sure which.

> Thanks
>
> Mick

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.