Re: Odd root (and suid root) behavior

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Wed, 15 May 1996 01:41:04 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> All,
>
> As of (at least) 1.99.2, an initial root login (or su root) after
> system startup hangs for almost a minute on a 486DX4-100 machine. Once
> logged in, though, everything procedes normally!

Most interesting. I used to have this problem, the actual thing that
triggers it is the _first_ attempt to syslog a message after a reboot.
The thing attempting to syslog a message just hangs for quite some time.
This problem has disappeared recently, perhaps due to my libc upgrade to
5.2.18, perhaps due to my sysklogd upgrade to 1.3, or perhaps even due to
kernel upgrades as both pipes/unix domain sockets/whatever syslog might
use, have been tweaked.

CAn anyone narrow this down?

Chris.