Re: USERS NOT SHOWED!

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Tue, 14 May 1996 15:54:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Actually, it's an application issue. Modern /usr/include/utmp.h files
> already leave enough space for four character ut_id fields, and "ttyC10"
> only requires a three character ut_id field (i.e., "C10")
>
> The problem is that there are some old programs which still assume that
^^^^^^^^^
> a two character ut_id field. Fortunately, this is fixable with source

Some?? When I first ran into this, I found the problem deeply rooted in
the way the libc functions dealt with umtp. I tried hacking libc to fix
it, but eventually gave up and just renamed my tty's. What libc version
do you need for extented ut_id's and where do you get the new
/usr/include files? I'd hope they come with the new libc.

I know my libc 4.7.4 systems are ancient...one day I'll upgrade.

Jon Lewis | Mime attachments are OK
jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net | But please ask before sending
http://inorganic5.fdt.net | unsolicited huge files.
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______