Possible /etc/kernel.conf? [was: animal names]

lilo (TaRDiS@mail.utexas.edu)
Mon, 13 May 1996 23:44:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Shinanyaku wrote:

> You know. If a /proc/config existed, it could be used during kernel
> configuration also. An autoconfig would be only a script away.
>
> > I have implement this a long time ago but felt that people would consider
> > a kernel bloat. Any interest, I must have the patch somewhere.

Well, it would be nice to have an /etc/kernel.conf file, actually. I'm not
sure how useful /proc/config would be, but it would be logical to make
/etc/kernel.conf a link to it. At the very least, it'd be highly useful to
take the basic kernel configuration out of the kernel source directory, at
least as some sort of option....

Um, any comparison to the `animal names' patch here might be
counterproductive.... Despite any evidence to the contrary, I think most of
us who use it do so primarily for it's humor value.... 8)

lilo