Re: Linux Logo

Mike Wangsmo (wanger@fubar.cs.montana.edu)
Sun, 12 May 1996 00:48:29 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 12 May 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Umm.. You don't have any gap to fill in.

Thanks, I don't feel as dumb as I started to. :)

> Having a penguin as a logo also gives more freedom to people wanting to
> use linux-related material: instead of being firmly fixed with a specific
> logo (the triangle, or just "Linux 2.0" or some other abstract thing),
> using something like a penguin gives people the chance to make
> modifications that are still recognizable.

I agree, the penguin really does show a "warm and fuzzy" type feeling,
just what I think Linux is good for as a contrast to other OS's.

> Anyway, go to "http://www.isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/" for some nice
> examples..

I did, and on the page called older versions, there is a really cute
penguin with the raised eyebrows. VERY NICELY DRAWN PICTURES!!!

Thanks for the clarification. :)
Mike Wangsmo, Graduate Student wanger@fubar.cs.montana.edu
Dept. of M&IE, MSU http://www.cs.montana.edu/~wanger
Bozeman, MT 59717 (406) 586-0690