Re: ext2 problems on fast-wide SCSI-2

Bob Lanning (lanning@tidbit.fhda.edu)
Wed, 8 May 1996 10:58:05 -0700 (PDT)

---- As written by root@baroque.co.uk:

> On Sat, 4 May 1996, Mishelle Bradford wrote:
>

> > > It's a P150 (Tyan Tempest II) with 64MB RAM, a DPT PM2124W Fast/Wide
> > > SCSI-2 controller, a Fujitsu M2934QA 4GB F/W SCSI-2 drive that's been
> > > partitioned to have sda1 as a 300-odd MB root partition and sda4 as a
> > > 32MB swap partition, and a 3c595 Ethercard.
> > >

> > Swap partitions can only be a max of 16MB in size, last I heard, and there
> > can be a total of 8 swap partitions.
>
> Quick question here. I have been using a swap size of 70MB for the last
> 2 months. It has worked perfectly with no problems, although with 32 MB
> of RAM, I rarely exceed 10 MB of swap usage. Am I looking for trouble
> here or is the swap size able to actually be larger than 16MB? I haven't
> tried this large swap with any kernel before 1.3.8x, so is that the
> reason it has worked for me?

> Mike Wangsmo, Graduate Student wanger@fubar.cs.montana.edu
> Dept. of M&IE, MSU http://www.cs.montana.edu/~wanger
> Bozeman, MT 59717 (406) 586-0690
> "May the Force be with you, always"

I have been running with 118M of swap space (I dedicated a drive for swap)
for the last year.
I have 32M of memory. I had played around with running about 10 xboards
playing themselves. Each xboard starts 2 gnuchess processes. Each gnuchess
process consumes about 9M of memory. (talk about thrashing :)
--
Robert Hajime Lanning                                     "It's the FROSTING!"
     The opinions expressed here are not mine, nor are they anyone else's.