720k boot disk

Steven N. Hirsch (hirsch@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu)
Wed, 08 May 1996 16:41:10 -0400

Martin Konold wrote:

> On Sat, 4 May 1996 jerijian@seas.ucla.edu wrote:
>
> > BTW, doesn anyone know if I can cat a kernel image (Linux
> > 1.3.98) to a 3.5" double-density (720k) floppy yet, or must I be
> > forced to use LILO?
>
> Just give it a try!
> I regularilly use dd if=/zImage of=/dev/fd0 bs=10k
> It works flawlessly.

That's interesting. Is it strictly necessary to use dd with bs=10K? At
one point in the past, I was able to do this by

cp zImage /dev/fd0

However, the last time I tried it I was utterly unable to produce a
working boot disk. The above works fine on a 1.44M disk, BTW.

- Steve

|Steven N. Hirsch	"Anything worth doing is worth     |
|University of Vermont	 overdoing.." - Hunter S. Thompson |
|Computer Science / EE                                     |