Java in OS? - [DONE!] (fwd)

Brian A. Lantz (brian@lantz.com)
Tue, 7 May 1996 18:22:13 -0400 (EDT)

Sent this last night, and it must have hit the bit bucket, so let me try
again....

Brian

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 02:06:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian A. Lantz <brian@lantz.com>
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Java in OS? - [DONE!]

On Sun, 5 May 1996, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> Or you can add a new loader. Use binfmt_scriptshell.c as the example to
> follow.

Oddly enough, this is exactly what I did ;-)

I've sent kernel patches to Linus for this which should make it into one
of the next kernels, if Linus allows.

Until then, for the impatient ;-), the diffs can be found at:

ftp://ftp.lantz.com/pub/java/kjava.patch

They are against the recent 1.3.98 kernel, but *should* apply to most
kernels without much difficulty (no promises, though)....

While all other OS's are TALKING about direct support of Java Binaries in
the OS, Linux is doing it! ;-)

Brian A. Lantz http://www.lantz.com brian@lantz.com

REAL PORTION of Microsoft Windows code:
while (memory_available) {
eat_major_portion_of_memory (no_real_reason);
if (feel_like_it)
make_user_THINK (this_is_an_OS);
gates_bank_balance++;
}