Re: dropping kerneld...

Kevin Buettner (kev@primenet.com)
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 10:01:28 -0700 (MST)

Michael Meskes writes:

> Kevin Buettner writes:
> >
> > Let me cast a "vote" in favor of kerneld.
>
> Hmm, it seems I missed an important threat.
>
> > I don't really see the point in using modules at all without a
>
> I agree totally with your point. I not only use kerneld, but also use it
> without the slightest problems. So why taking it out?

Linus decided to remove it when someone (Simon Shapiro?) reported that
his kernel went into a "coma". Here is the relevant post:

: Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 13:48:34 +0300 (EET DST)
: From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi>
: Subject: Re: 1.3.94 Ooops For Sale...
: To: Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-connect.net>, bj0rn@blox.se
: cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
: Sender: owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
:
: > Few more tidbits;
: >
: > master.debian.org went into a coma less than 12 hours after booting 1.3.94.
: > What happened? No clue. the only symptoms (differentiating coma from
: > death):
: >
: > 1. ``Ouch, kerneld wanted to sleep in interrupt'' every second or two
: > 2. Login freezes after taking the login name on the console.
: > 3. Existing telnet session totally frozen.
: > 4. ``Cannot load interpreter'' in response to login - sometimes.
: >
: > This was preceeded by the same unholy stream of prophanity as described in
: > my previous posting under this title (``route to %p was born dead'').
:
: Ok, "kerneld" goes disabled in the next kernel, and won't be resuscitated until
: after 2.0 is out unless somebody really starts to look into this thing. I'm not
: using kerneld personally, and for a few reasons I don't think I _will_ be using
: it in the near future, so I won't be fixing this.
:
: Björn?
:
: Linus