Re: Bad 1.3.95 interactive performance (fwd)

Gerard Roudier (groudier@iplus.fr)
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 22:31:47 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Matthias Sattler wrote:

> Hiho
>
> I'm very sorry about the confusion I caused up to now. But I don't know what's
> wrong with my system that worked fine for about 3 years now (at the beginning
> without usage of the ncr because there was no linux driver then).

Ncr (Symbios) scsi controler chips are excellent.

> The symptoms I'm seeing are unnecessary heavy swapping when the system is
> up for a longer time (at the beginning everything is normal). Now that I use
> the original ncr driver the problems only appear later (this had caused me
> to suspect the ncrBsd2Linux driver, which seems wrong now).

I think that ncrBsd2Linux is an excellent choice.
This driver has been already suspected twice.
1 - thread "Kernel stack torture".
2 - some Oops with tagged queue enable.
The problems were in the kernel.

> - At the moment the problems are starting, but the machine is still usable and
> free says:
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 14964 14740 224 3516 280 2532
> -/+ buffers: 11928 3036
> Swap: 33724 12312 21412
>
> Hmmm... this looks normal to me....

Nothing quite wrong.
However, it seems that running processes need more memory than available RAM.
Can you check the memory size of all running processes?
If all is normal, just add 8MB or more to your system, and all will be ok.

Gerard.