Re: My personal wish-list

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 12:11:15 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <199604281627.RAA02242@woodlea.wintermute.=
co.uk>,
"Graham Mitchell" <gmitch@woodlea.wintermute.co.uk> writes:
>=20
> > o SBPCD seperated into drive families - taking out support for TEAC=
and the
> > other 'families' that don't pertain to my setup resulted in a 50%=
reduction
> > in code-size.
> Yes..... and some speed improvements..... Its so damn slow just now.

I'd go farther and say that _any_ device for which you need more than a
second or two to probe, or which need a desctuctive probe (i.e. you can=
't
know whether a device might be present without writing to the address i=
question) shouldn't autoconfigure at all. Kernel command lines are ther=
for a reason.

> > o 'vmlinuz' created as a symlink pointing to 'vmlinuz_x.x.xxx' , sa=
me with
> > System.map. That way, no need to go probing to the file looking f=
or version
> > signature.
>=20
> Yup.... and lilo supporting this
>=20
Ah no. A / directory full of heaps of kernels? Move the things to
/boot/linux-x.y.z. Do the same with the boot RAM disk (ramdisk-x.y.z).
Either teach the kernel Makefile to add a new entry to lilo.conf, or te=
ach
lilo to auto-add the kernels it finds in /boot when prompted with an
appropriate wildcard. E.g.,

image =3D /boot/linux-*
initrd =3D /boot/disk.*
label =3D *

would scan for all files matching /boot/linux.*, and subsequently repla=
ce
all *s with the part matched (in this case, the version number).

--=20
You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without
having asked any clear question.
-Albert Camus
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ Noris Network GmbH i.Gr/ Xlink-POP N=FCrnberg=
=20
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Linux+Internet / EMail: urlichs@nor=
is.de
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Programming+Networking+etc'i=
ng
PGP: 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE=20
Click <A HREF=3D"http://smurf.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>. =
42