Re: Let's all say Supra Fax Modem Sucks

Drew Eckhardt (drew@poohsticks.org)
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 13:33:58 -0600

In message <01BB3442.90BCD180@jabpc>, jab@jabpp.corcom.com writes:

>Please tell me if anyone ever got the Supra fax modem to work correctly on Lin
>ux.

Works fine for me; although the phone company likes to drop the connection
at arround 26 hours of uptime.

>Mine will dial and connect just find but give it a minute and it hangs hup
> when connecting higher than 19200.

You can find out why the modem disconnected by taking a look inside the
S86 register; where the value could be determined from this perl hash -
# S86 error codes for SUPRA (and presumably other Rockwell chipset
# based modmes)

%SUPRA_ERRORS = (
0 => 'Normal hangup initiated by local',
4 => 'Carrier loss',
5 => 'No error correction at other end',
6 => 'No response to feature negotiation',
7 => 'This modem is ASYNC only, other is SYNC',
8 => 'No framing technique in common',
9 => 'No protocol in common',
10 => 'Bad response to feature negotiation',
11 => 'No sync information from remote',
12 => 'Normal hangup initiated by remote',
13 => 'Retransmission limit reached',
14 => 'Protocol violation occured'
);

>Any input would be nice, I hate to have to buy a different modem.

It's probably the wiring inside or outside of your house.

--
By using this line in your .sig, you violate 18 USC 1462, committing a class D
felony, good for up to 5 years in prison and a $250,000 fine: