Re: As 2.0 looms

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 03:38:22 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <9604240319.AA23260@rsphy6.anu.edu.au>,
Paul Gortmaker <gpg109@rsphy6.anu.edu.au> writes:
>=20
> Yes. And the 'Do you want to be offered ALPHA test drivers' needs to =
be
> moved to the top of ./drivers/net/Config.in so that it can be applied=
> *all* drivers, and not just ether drivers as it is at present.
>=20
Seconded!

> Also the 'EtherExpress support' should read 'EtherExpress-16 support=
'
> as lots of people seem to get confused on this one. Speaking of which=
,

There's also an EtherExpressPro driver which still has problems last ti=
me I
looked -- the transmitter can get stuck if the receiver has too much wo=
rk
to do (setting the card to promiscuous mode should do it), and it fails=
properly unregister itself when loaded as a module.

The latter is something that somebody with time on their hands should
check, for _all_ drivers.

The network and standard serial drivers also carry their own IRQ-probe =
code
around with them, I'd really like to see that cleared up before 2.0 too=
.
(Does _anybody_ out there use the serial driver's "wild interrupt"
feature? And why is that thing in the serial driver in the first place?
Should be a kernel command line option instead...)

> Another one that should be KERN_DEBUG is=20
>=20
> keyboard.c: "keyboard error"
>=20
_All_ messages should be _something_.

--=20
Cauterize: Made eye contact with her.
-- Dictionary of Obscure Medical Terms
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ Noris Network GmbH i.Gr/ Xlink-POP N=FCrnberg=
=20
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Linux+Internet / EMail: urlichs@nor=
is.de
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Programming+Networking+etc'i=
ng
PGP: 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE=20
Click <A HREF=3D"http://smurf.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>. =
42