Re: Kernel panic debugging (was Re: 1.3.95 is not stable)

Graham Mitchell (gmitch@woodlea.wintermute.co.uk)
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 18:22:30 +0000

> On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Joe wrote:
> >
> > > [ my kernel disassembly and code corruption oratory ]
> >
> > HOW do you do this? Sure, I know it's your beast, but it seems
> > kind of strange to know the conversion from/to x86 machine language,
> > assembly, and C offhand.
> >
> > Any tricks we don't know about? :)
>
> The main trick is having 5 years of experience with those pesky oops
> messages ;-)

Yeah.... When I was a student at college many years ago, one of the
support guys in the Computer Services Unit could recreate my
Fortran77 source from the dump it produced under Tops-20. The first
couple of times he did it, I was kinda stunned (being a computing
newbie and everything). Hello to Frank Drain if he's still going
about business.

Graham

Ask not what you can do for your country,
but what your government is doing to you