Re: 1.3.94 Ooops For Sale...

Chris Adams (cadams@ro.com)
28 Apr 1996 18:36:22 GMT

In article <ML-2.2.830429314.8565.torvalds@linux.cs.helsinki.fi>,
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
>> 1. ``Ouch, kerneld wanted to sleep in interrupt'' every second or two
>> 2. Login freezes after taking the login name on the console.
>> 3. Existing telnet session totally frozen.
>> 4. ``Cannot load interpreter'' in response to login - sometimes.
>
>Ok, "kerneld" goes disabled in the next kernel, and won't be resuscitated until
>after 2.0 is out unless somebody really starts to look into this thing. I'm not
>using kerneld personally, and for a few reasons I don't think I _will_ be using
>it in the near future, so I won't be fixing this.

I use kerneld at home and I haven't seen any problems like this.
However, I DON'T use kerneld at work on our server, but I have seen some
of the above problems (#2 & #4). I have seen the "Cannot load
interpreter" sometimes when trying to run programs, right before the
machine crashes. Sometimes, when I start getting that message, I will
get a segmentation fault trying to run a program instead.

I don't think these problems are caused by kerneld, since the system at
work doesn't have kerneld enabled.

--
Chris Adams (C.Adams@Yellow-Jackets.com)
"So, if anybody wants to have hardware sent to them: don't call me, but