Re: As 2.0 looms (fwd)

shaggenbunsenburner (shagboy@thecia.net)
Sat, 27 Apr 1996 20:19:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> On 26 Apr 96 at 12:23, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > The one "ALPHA" is "DEC_ALPHA" for me. Or we use "EXPERIMENTAL" for
> > > the other "alpha". What about a replace before 2.0 is out?
> >
> > Alpha has always meant preproduction quality code. Its not my fault digital
> > gave their machine a stupid name. Call the DEC Alpha stuff "DEC Alpha"
>
> Unfortunately this gives a terrible directory name (with a blank).
> Even using the greek letter (that's what DEC thought of) is not too
> nice. What about capitalizing ALPHA if DEC's product is meant, and
> using lowercase "[Aa]lpha" for pre-production quality?

how about we try one of the following instead:

1. put ALPHA next to untested code (all caps makes people take a bit
more notice) and "for DEC Alpha" next to DEC code. no one at DEC is
going to change the name of their machine, we might as well state clearly
which is which

2. to avoid any chance of confusion, stop calling it ALPHA, call it BETA
instead (yes, i know BETA is supposed to mean more done than ALPHA, but
either way, everyone knows it's not finished)

3. find some other pointless thing to argue about on linux-kernel (sorry
for contributing even further, but hopefully i've presented a solution)

shag

Judd Bourgeois | When we are planning for posterity,
shagboy@thecia.net | we ought to remember that virtue is
Finger for PGP key | not hereditary. Thomas Paine