Re: nfsiod issues?

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 08:42:41 +0200 (MET DST)

In linux.dev.kernel, article <m0u9bUo-000HRoC@monad.swb.de>,
Olaf Kirch <okir@monad.swb.de> writes:
>=20
> The difficulty with kernel threads is that they are created by using=20
> sys_clone(), which means that they inherit everything from the proces=
> creating them, including its VM.

But that can be fixed easily. Right now there's only one flag, CLONE_VM=
,
which says whether we want the same memory map or an identical copy. Ad=
another flag that says we want a new empty memory map instead (obviousl=
this flag cannot be used from user space). Problem solved.

> I may change NFS to spawn and kill nfsiods when mounting/unmounting
> volumes, but that fixes only the symptoms module users are seeing.

It also fixes the number four. What's so magical about four such proces=
ses,
except that certain other OSes have done things that way for ages?

--=20
It might help if we ran the MBA's out of Washington.
-- Admiral Grace Hopper
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ Noris Network GmbH i.Gr/ Xlink-POP N=FCrnberg=
=20
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Linux+Internet / EMail: urlichs@nor=
is.de
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Programming+Networking+etc'i=
ng
PGP: 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE=20
Click <A HREF=3D"http://smurf.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>. =
42