Re: Modularizing the IPV4 code

Tom Grigg (st588@bayou.uh.edu)
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 05:43:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Eric Schenk wrote:

> While I'm talking about modules, has anyone else noticed that if
> you run "make modules" twice in a row all the modules get recompiled
> the second time. It seems to me that only those modules that depend
> on files that have changed should be recompiled.

Do you mean that if you type 'make modules' immediately after a previous
'make modules' completes, and in the interim you've not changed any
files, all of the modules still get rebuilt on your system?

What I've noticed (with versioned modules) is that when you update a file
that exports symbols, genksyms has to be re-run on that file, which in
turn updates modversions.h, which causes all modules from that point on
in the build sequence to be re-made. This can be inconvenient when you
modify a file that gets made early in the build sequence (e.g. serial.c)
as this can cause a _lot_ of modules to be rebuilt.

Looking forward to a modularized networking subsystem!