Re: broken flock() in linux 1.3.95

Derrik Pates (dpates@cavern.nmsu.edu)
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 08:46:14 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Linux Kernel mail list account wrote:

> i just installed linux 1.3.95, upgrading from 85 and earlier beta versions.
> im getting a mess of these on logins, and had a couple (first two) at bootup.
> the original installation was slackware 3.0 running 1.3.20, upgraded to 1.3.57,
> then 85. this is the first i've seen this. any clues?
>
> fcntl_setlk() called by process 71 with broken flock() emulation
> fcntl_setlk() called by process 73 with broken flock() emulation
> fcntl_setlk() called by process 80 with broken flock() emulation
> fcntl_setlk() called by process 79 with broken flock() emulation
> fcntl_setlk() called by process 79 with broken flock() emulation
> fcntl_setlk() called by process 91 with broken flock() emulation
> fcntl_setlk() called by process 91 with broken flock() emulation
> fcntl_setlk() called by process 80 with broken flock() emulation

It seems to be a problem with agetty attaching to the tty?? lines. It
opens these like files (If I don't know what I'm talking about let me know)
and apparently Linux permits it to continue, but agetty does not know some
(apparently new) syntax for the fcntl_setlk() UN*X locking call. Does
anyone know _exactly_ where the problem lies, and where we can get a new
agetty? On my system here, it has one of these lines at startup for each
VT i have set up (I have 8) and it occurs every time a login prompt comes
up. Also, if I'm wrong here (I may be, I'm somewhat short on Linux
experience) please, _please_ tell me so. I would like to think I know
what I'm doing, but if I don't I'd like to know that. Thanks.

Derrik Pates
dpates@cavern.nmsu.edu

--
Win95 isn't the problem - OS/2 and DOS are. Win95 is the answer.
-- also --