Re: page tables

Ingo Molnar (mingo@pc5829.hil.siemens.co.at)
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 17:09:01 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Alan Cox <alan@cymru.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:16:07 +0100 (BST)

> > Peanuts, it takes 3mb of page tables to map all the physical pages of
> > ram into kernel space on my SMP Sparc box.
>
> Which is too much unpageable data. Page tables are meant to be paged.

trying to estimate the memory accounting overhead for Linux:

is this formula right?:

N: number of i386 tasks (processes)
MEM: average size of a task, in pages
a page table entry is 32 bits = 4 bytes

the size of the page tables (hardware page tables only):

N*MEM*4*FACTOR,

where FACTOR is a near 1.0 multiplier, because of the root page table.

lets take 10 heavy tasks, each with 4MBytes of virtual memory:

This would be 10*1024*4 = 10 pages .... something is wrong here :) Where
are those big page tables you are talking about? [my fault most probably]

Or do you mean the memory overhead caused by Linux memory management,
vma-s, free lists, buffer heads? [dont know how big they are]

-- mingo