Re: Ext2 Problem

Matthew Lepper (lepper@cmu.edu)
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 13:51:15 -0400

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Don't bother with the patch: I thinkI have something that does what I want.
> It's untested, but maybe somebody could try this out?
>
> This patch essentially makes the minix mount operation do a lot more checks
> before it accepts the filesystem as a real minix filesystem. It checks that the
> root inode really is a directory, and then it reads the first block of the root
> directory and checks that "." and ".." exist, and have the right inode numbers.
>
> While doing that it also checks how far apart they are, giving us the directory
> entry size.. The funny thing is that while I was doing this, a m68k patch came
> in that did some of this but not as complete..
>
> I don't actually have any minix filesystems left, so could somebody else test
> this out? Preferably somebody who has a filesystem that can be confused with
> something else..

OK, I guess that's me :)

I tried it on my ext2 filesystem, but I still get the same problem. With
the patched 1.3.91 it spits out a lot of kernel page faults and other uglyness.

Incidentally, the patch did not apply cleanly over 1.3.91, so I did it manually,
but I could have forgotten something.

Matthew