Re: 1.3.87 and SLOW SLIP/PPP

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 13:34:27 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <2F655C07401@rkdvmks1.ngate.uni-regensburg=
.de>,
"Ulrich Windl" <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> writes:
> On 13 Apr 96 at 11:48, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>=20
> > I do think that the delay is appropriate, but it might be better to=
make=20
> > it even lower (0.02 sec instead of 0.1 seconds). That would still c=
atch=20
> > immediate back-to-back packets while not showing up in any interact=
ive=20
> > use.
>=20
> Shouldn't the delay be based on (be inverse proportional to) the=20
> interface speed? On high speed networks a short delay will probably=20
> do, but if you run SLIP over a 2400 baud modem...

The delay is the one between arrival of a data packet and the sending
of the appropriate ACK, just to give the system a chance to come up wit=
an echo character onto which the ack can be piggybacked. Why should tha=
depend on link speed?

--=20
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
--Lazarus Long
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ XLink-POP N=FCrnberg | EMail: urlichs@smurf.=
noris.de
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Unix+Linux+Mac | Phone: ...please use =
email.
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Networking+Programming+etc'i=
ng 42
PGP: 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE=20
Click <A HREF=3D"http://smurf.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>.