Re: Is MMAP working ?

Craig Schlenter (cschle@paradigm.co.za)
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 13:39:56 +0200 (SAT)

On Mon, 11 Sep 1995 [quite a while ago, so I reproduced it all], Linus
Torvalds wrote:

> Craig Schlenter: "Is MMAP working ?" (Sep 8, 16:22):
> >
> > I recall some discussion about this a while back but I never took much
> > notice of it because it didn't apply to me. Now of course it does apply
> > since I am setting up a news server and have to recompile inn. Does mmap
> > work in 1.3.24? Is anyone using inn compiled with the MMAP option ? Is it
> > faster/better?
>
> mmap _should_ work correctly in 1.3.24+, but it has still not been
> extensively tested. And the standard C library doesn't have some of the
> entry-points yet (notably, msync() is missing from the C library
> although it now has kernel support). I'd be very interested to hear
> about success/problems with mmap, but if your livelyhood depends on it,
> I'd suggest letting somebody else test..
>
> Linus

Well I am pleased to report that MMAP seems to be working very happily
with inn. I don't carry a full newsfeed but it still has a fair bit of
traffic and I have had no problems with it. In particular 1.3.25 seems to
be very stable and certainly should belong in the BUGFREE (TM) series :-)

igw01:~$ uptime
1:26pm up 14 days, 20:05, 1 user, load average: 1.02, 0.42, 0.22
igw01:~$ uname -a
Linux igw01 1.3.25 #24 Mon Sep 11 08:05:42 GMT+0200 1995 i486

igw01 is a 486 with 16megs of RAM and a 1542 scsi controller. It's not
exactly idle either as it is a firewall that runs socks for about 100
users and also does news and mail.

My congratulations and thanks to the developers. I'm very impressed with
linux!

--Craig Schlenter
cschle@paradigm.co.za
schz@kidd.co.za