Re: where is memcpy in 1.3.20?

Tom May (ftom@netcom.com)
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 20:05:19 -0700

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 09:10:30 PDT
From: "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>

>memcpy appears to be an inline...

>I have a installable driver (ntfs) which wants the function
>memcpy...and we don't have it...

>The non-inline version is very simple...

>Would it be reasonable to have a non-inline version that's highly
>optimized assembler?

The inline version *is* highly optimized assembler (although the way
the trailing bytes are handled could be tested for optimalness). I
put some instrumentation in the kernel a while back to test alignment
of src and dest in memcpy() invocations, and in almost all cases they
were 4-byte aligned, which the inline version handles very well.

I guess my point is, a non-inline version should look just like the
inline version.

Tom.