Re: Bizare 1.3 problem...

Johan Myreen (jem@vistacom.fi)
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 09:30:23 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 21 Aug 1995, Andrew Walker wrote:

> > Oddly enough I tried this as well and it did not work on this machine for
> > some reason :(

> Oh, bl**dy hell. Not this TERM stuff again. Check your '/etc/inittab'.
> If so, then TERM gets set to 'console'. If not then it gets left at 'linux'.
> If you use getty_ps, but leave out the third arg, then it also gets left
> at 'linux'.

May I point out that leaving the value at 'linux' is a Good Thing. The
change from TERM=console to TERM=linux in the Linux kernel was made for a
very good reason, and this "missing termcap entry" problem should not be
fixed by setting the value of TERM back to 'console' in inittab.

> So you need make sure there's an entry for 'linux', and possibly 'console'
> in '/etc/termcap'.

Yes, and don't forget to do add a linux entry to terminfo if you don't
have one already. Ncurses is gaining popularity and it is based on
terminfo, not termcap. The newest version of ncurses already contains a
'linux' entry in its terminfo database. Don't expect it to contain an
entry for 'console', since an entry named 'console' describing the Linux
console makes little sense on BSD, or any of the other operating systems
ncurses is targeted for...

--
Johan Myreen
jem@pandora.pp.fi