Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #153

Fri, 11 Aug 1995 13:32:17 +0200 (MET DST)

According to owner-linux-kernel-digest@vger.rutgers.edu:
> From: rct@gherkin.sa.wlk.com (Bob_Tracy)
> Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 06:36:59 -0500 (CDT)
> Subject: first lockup ever
>
> I regret to mention that I've just experienced my first Linux machine
> lockup ever. My particular recipe for disaster (completely reproducible):
>
> (1) Boot up on 1.3.16 (monolithic kernel, a.out version -- gcc 2.5.8,
> libc.so.4.5.26, same as I've used for every 1.3.X kernel version
> to date).
>
> (2) Invoke openwin (with olvwm).
>
> (3) Try running "netscape".
>
> (4) Show's over... Can't switch virtual consoles, can't switch active
> windows, can't interrupt netscape, can't get to the machine via a
> network connection, no disk activity, nada. Can't even give the
> machine the 3-finger salute: got to hit the reset switch. The hang
> happens immediately after typing "netscape<CR>", i.e., there's no
> netscape window or even any indication of disk activity.

Actually, the system itself does not crash. It is 'just' Netscape that
locks up while it has grabbed the X server for exclusive use.

When you have a terminal via a serial line, or the system is on a network,
you can work there and kill things.
Also, CTRL-ALT-BS kills the X server and drops you back to the textmode.
However, it does not kill the applications running under X, as it normally
does.

Rob

--
| Rob Janssen         rob@knoware.nl | AMPRnet:   rob@pe1chl.ampr.org       |