Re: Linux 1.3.xx

lilo (TaRDiS@mail.utexas.edu)
Wed, 9 Aug 1995 06:58:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 7 Aug 1995, Demetrius Harris wrote:

> for some strange reason when ever i try to use one of the 1.3.xx version
> i can't use vi because of an unrecognize TERM error..
>
> an when i do a "setterm -term console" it doesn't work or have an effect..
>
> the 1.3.xx versions default to an unknow term type linux
> can anyone shade some light on my problem?

Um, yes, this is another bit of `progress' that breaks existing
installations who upgrade their kernels (no flames, please, we've already
had this discussion :)....add an alias to `console' in your /etc/termcap
for the name `linux' and that should take care of it. You can also set TERM
to console in your /etc/profile or do it manually in a shell session, as a
quick kluge to get you going....

lilo