Re: ext2 filesystesm becoming corrupt

Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 10:30:14 -0400

From: Andrew Turnquist <aturn@roch0.eznet.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 14:40:22 -0400 (EDT)

Any ideas what's causing this? Or is is a bug in the ext2 code?

Our news server, which has near constant disk activity, was up for a
little over 2 days when we started getting the following errors in the
kernel messages file:

Aug 2 11:00:41 roch3 kernel: EXT2-fs error (device 8/33):
ext2_check_blocks_bitmap: Wrong free blocks count in superblock,
stored = 380041, counted = 380061
Aug 2 11:00:41 roch3 kernel: EXT2-fs error (device 8/33):
ext2_check_inodes_bitmap: Wrong free inodes count in group 14,
stored = 0, counted = 1

These errors repeat numerous times until we reboot (we had more than a
screenful of them for 11:00:41 alone). The also exist for device 8/17.

It seems that while running, our spool disks are becoming corrupt. INN
then complains that the disk is full, even with df shown only 65% usage,
and we have to reboot and fsck.

Obvious question --- have you run e2fsck on your system yet?!? If not,
why not? And if you have, did the problems recur after you fixed up the
filesystem corruption using e2fsck?

- Ted