Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #136

Alan Cox (iialan@iifeak.swan.ac.uk)
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 09:52:21 +0100 (BST)

> From: Jim Lynch <jimlynch@netcom.com>
> Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 04:08:02 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Kernel documentation
>
> I agree with this point. While I feel that the authors should have documented
> in the first place (and made enough docs to reproduce the entire project),
> that didn't happen with linux, and almost every other freely available unix
> as well as a good number of the proprietary ones. Further, the authors ought
> to be involved.

Sure.. pay me a lot of money and I'll write you a book. There. - Some of us
spend all day at work documenting code. It is also often more useful for
other people to go through the code verifying and commenting in things than
the author. As Mike Shaver has done with RFC1122.

> That's moving too fast. I propose we agree on a comment style sheet first (or
> maybe in parallel with setting up the comment organization), and I refer you
> to the one in "The C Companion" by Allan Holub as a first cut.

Most of the code already has specific comment styles that suit the author, and
are not too different. In the same way as we have pretty close to a common
C coding standard.

Alan