Re: man pages

Daniel Quinlan (quinlan@best.com)
Sat, 29 Jul 1995 18:26:27 -0700

Andries Brouwer <Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl> writes:

> Nevertheless, if you spent time figuring out some aspect of the
> kernel and think it would help people to see your write-up - your
> page kernel_things.9 is very welcome.

Beyond the fact that section 9 manual pages are redundant if the
kernel is well-documented, I think we might want to allow people to
work on documentation-only additions to the kernel. If a developer
has a problem with someone else documenting their code, then they
should be get on the ball and document it on their own.

Also, is there a reason why we don't distribute section 2 manual pages
with the kernel source? It's impossible to keep documentation
up-to-date if it is distributed separately from the software,
especially when it changes as rapidly as the kernel.

Dan

--
Daniel Quinlan          Member of the League for Programming Freedom
quinlan@best.com