Re: Kernel configuration and documentatiton

Johan Myreen (jem@vistacom.fi)
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:40:14 +0300 (EET DST)

> From: joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE (Martin Schulze)
>
> 2. To my feeling there are far too little comments about what all the
> settings are about. Sometimes even I run into trouble, 'cause I
> didn't know what's meant. And what will a newbie think?

> Maybe the Configure script can also be extended to support a help
> function which displays a little (10 lines or so) description about
> the current define.

This has already been done. In sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/kernel/config
you'll find a replacement Configure script, which looks just like the good
old config script, except that it has a context sensitive help function.
Unfortunately, this config script never made it into the official
distribution and has not been updated since kernel version 1.1.85.

Begin3
Title: kernel_config_help
Version: 05FEB95
Entered-date: 05FEB95
version 1.1.85 and friends, containing gentle explanations
of many acronyms and pointers to the documentation.
A replacement for the standard Configure script, which
uses these help texts, is provided.