Re: kernel config

cloister bell (cloister@hhhh.org)
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 20:40:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 24 Jul 1995, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 95 10:13 EDT
> From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
> To: jimlynch@netcom.com
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: kernel config
>
> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 02:46:14 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jim Lynch <jimlynch@netcom.com>
>
> > I suspect that this is caused by a lack of submissions. Look at it
> > from Linus's point of view: what could be more safe to incorporate,
> > than a patch which only changes comments. At least, I can't imagine
> > him refusing a comment-only patch, so I guess he hasn't gotten any.
>
> Great in theory... but I don't understand the kernel.
>
> Read the code. Write down your understanding of it as comments.
> Submit them as patches. If they're horribly wrong, someone else will
> submit comment-bug-fixes. The only way to accomplish anything is to
> do it yourself, not to exhort and cajole others.

i have to disagree with that. comments in the code should *not* be
wrong; certainly not horribly so. if the point of having comments is to
help people understand the kernel, then adding incorrect comments can
only hurt that effort.

> Really... You DON'T NEED to be an expert to be useful and helpful.

that's true. but i wouldn't submit kernel comment patches unless you
have good reasons for thinking they're correct. if there are issues
you're unclear about, ask about them here before finalizing your patch.
i'm all for people submitting kernel comment patches, but don't submit
crap just to cajole other people into fixing it for you.

> Linus does a good job of weeding out the cruft.

linus has enough to do already. imho, given the effort he's put out for
us, the least we can do for him is to submit quality material.