Re: make config

Darin Johnson (djohnson@cs.ucsd.edu)
Sun, 16 Jul 1995 17:54:12 -0700

Mister Linux writes:
> You might want to have a look at the configuration utilies used by
> *BSD. I 'ported' them to Linux some time ago, but never made them
> available because the consensus was against BSD-style configuration.

What I'd like, and have been thinking about on and on, is a way to
have multiple configurations, like what BSD gives you. Thus, I can
compile a kernel for two different configurations from the same
machine without a lot of work.

I sort of looked into kcs and other utilities, but they all have
the flaw that either they modify the standard files (meaning that
you can't just do a simple patch on a new release), or they provide
their own config.in. If the default config.in were modified so that
it provided extra information usuable by non-standard config
utilities, this would be useful. Ie, add lines for menus, submenus,
sections, or what not, rather than just comments. They would all be
treated as normal comments though so that the default configuration
worked.