Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #103

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@drinkel.ow.org)
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 10:12:30 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <8425@purplet.demon.co.uk>,
Mike Jagdis <jaggy@purplet.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Anyway, the problem is that people can't change their terminal
>> > settings without recompiling the kernel. There should be a
>> > configuration file, like /etc/initenv to specify initial settings,
>> > like PATH, ARCH, TERM and so on. Most systems except linux are
>> > doing just that.
>
>It's /etc/initscript. My init uses it. But then I haven't put together
>a new bootsys release for *years* since all the distributors seem to
>like to make users edit boot up scripts :-). Maybe it's time again?

So does my SysVinit. They aren't all that different. The only problem
is that Slackware won't upgrade - it is still using the buggy
SysVInit 2.4, while I'm at 2.57 now...

Debian does have a complete SysV-like /etc/rc.* hierarchy, using
SysVinit 2.56 at the moment if I'm not mistaken.

Mike.

--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg + Cistron Internet Services + Distribution of this   +
| miquels@cistron.nl     | Independent Dutch ISP     | message through the MS |