Re: Solid hang with 1.2.x

Chris Adams (cadams@HiWAAY.net)
Wed, 5 Jul 1995 20:56:20 -0500 (CDT)

> On Wed, 5 Jul 1995, Derek Wildstar wrote:
>
> > it may be a few things...in my experience with two Maxtor drives (one 345M
> > from a few months ago and a 1280M from a few weeks ago), they seem to
> > coexist much better with western digital if they are set to be master (in
>
> I'll concur - if the WD is master the maxtors run a lot better...
> I had trouble when I got my first WD 1.08 (still works!) - I thought it
> was broken when I had the Maxtor 7345A(not V) as master...

Well, I ended up trying both combinations of Maxtor first/WD second and
WD first/Maxtor second, and both worked under MSDOS but not under Linux
- I still got solid hangs trying to access the Maxtor. As long as I
didn't touch it, everything was fine, but when I tried using it, it
would eventually hang.

I had a second IDE controller just sitting on the shelf, so I put it in
and put the Maxtor on it. No problem! Of course, MSDOS can't access
it, but so what! :-) Thanks to everyone who worked on the newer IDE
driver (I don't know your names of the top of my head, and I know I
would miss someone anyway).

--
Chris Adams - cadams@HiWAAY.net
Simulations Director & Team Leader