Re: [BUG][v6.9-rc6] Deadlock with: Revert "drm/qxl: simplify qxl_fence_wait"

From: Timo Lindfors
Date: Tue May 07 2024 - 11:47:38 EST

On Tue, 7 May 2024, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
Worth trying: use vnc. The qemu vnc server will skip updates when the
network pipeline is full. That throttles the frame rate, but also
reduces the display update latency.

With Debian 12 it seems that the virtio + vnc + firefox combination results in a black firefox window. Adding MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 makes
the browser visible but I still see the constant redraw behavior when scrolling.

The qxl + spice + firefox combination scrolls smoothly even if I force firefox to use wayland. I suppose I could write a more synthetic test if
it would be useful? With systemtap I can trace what happens during a single
scroll event.

In general the trend seems to be to move to in-guest remote desktop
solutions. Do NOT make VMs a special case with a special solution,
instead handle VMs like bare metal. Commercial solutions exist for a
while, some of them are doing hardware-assisted video encoding to send
the display as video stream to the remote end. gnome+rdp is a new
player here, clearly worth a try.

Yes this makes sense. I'm definitely not trying to stick to a particular technology but instead try to find the best FOSS solution for the use case of hosting linux desktops on a server.

-Timo