Re: Safety of opening up /dev/dma_heap/* to physically present users (udev uaccess tag) ?

From: Bryan O'Donoghue
Date: Tue May 07 2024 - 11:15:20 EST

On 07/05/2024 16:09, Dmitry Baryshkov wrote:
Ah, I see. Then why do you require the DMA-ble buffer at all? If you are
providing data to VPU or DRM, then you should be able to get the buffer
from the data-consuming device.

Because we don't necessarily know what the consuming device is, if any.

Could be VPU, could be Zoom/Hangouts via pipewire, could for argument sake be GPU or DSP.

Also if we introduce a dependency on another device to allocate the output buffers - say always taking the output buffer from the GPU, then we've added another dependency which is more difficult to guarantee across different arches.

---
bod