Re: [BUG][v6.9-rc6] Deadlock with: Revert "drm/qxl: simplify qxl_fence_wait"

From: Timo Lindfors
Date: Tue May 07 2024 - 02:39:43 EST

On Tue, 7 May 2024, David Airlie wrote:
I expec this will reintroduce the other problems that caused this
change in the first place, but I think this should at least bring us
back to regression equilibrium. I can't recommend anyone use qxl hw
over virtio-gpu hw in their VMs, since virtio-gpu is actually hw
designed for virt.

I would love to switch to virtio. It works ok for local virtual machines but I have many users who are using Linux desktops hosted on a powerful server where it is more difficult. With spice and qxl scrolling in a web browser is smooth, with spice and virtio it seems like larger parts are getting fully redrawn (and resent over network?). Now that new gnome is going to come with RDP support I'm also considering switching to that. Any tips would be appreciated.

Here's a quick (1min42s) demo video that I recorded. spice+qxl on the left, spice+virtio on the right. The VMs were created from the exact same
disk image template.

https://lindi.iki.fi/lindi/qxl/spice_qxl_vs_virtio.webm

-Timo