RE: THP backed thread stacks

From: David Laight
Date: Sat Mar 18 2023 - 09:00:20 EST

From: Matthew Wilcox
> Sent: 17 March 2023 17:53
> My understanding is that for a normal app (like, say, 'cat'), we'll
> allow up to an 8MB stack, but we only create a VMA that is 4kB in size
> and set the VM_GROWSDOWN flag on it (to allow it to magically grow).
> Therefore we won't create a 2MB page because the VMA is too small.

Is there anyway that glibc (or anything else) could request that
for a thread stack?

It would make the process 'memory size' reported by ps/top
much more meaningful for programs with threads.
I've noticed some (what should be) small programs having a
size (rss?) of 277m.
I'm sure a lot of it is thread stack.

David

Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)