Re: System boot failure related to commit 'irqdomain: Switch to per-domain locking'

From: Johan Hovold
Date: Mon Feb 27 2023 - 07:47:22 EST

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 07:25:08PM +0800, Bingbu Cao wrote:

> On 2/27/23 7:02 PM, Johan Hovold wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 06:46:05PM +0800, Bingbu Cao wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi, Johan and Zyngier,
> >>
> >> I am using a Dell XPS laptop(Intel Processor) just update my
> >> Linux kernel to latest tag 6.2.0, and then I see that the kernel
> >> cannot boot successfully, it reported:
> >> --------------------------------------------
> >> Gave up waiting for root file system device. Common problems:

> >> I am sure that my previous kernel 6.2.0-rc4 work normally, so I
> >> did some bisect and found the commit below cause the failure on
> >> my system:
> >>
> >> 9dbb8e3452ab irqdomain: Switch to per-domain locking
> >
> > This commit is not in 6.2.0, so I assume you're using a build of Linus's
> > master branch (i.e. what will become 6.3-rc1)?
>
> Yes, I am using Linus's master branch, the HEAD is d2980d8d8265.
>

> >> I really have no idea why it cause my problem, but I see just
> >> reverting this commit really help me.
> >>
> >> Do you have any idea?
> >
> > Is there anything suspicious in dmesg (e.g. any new warnings or stack
> > dumps)?
>
> No crash, just the initramfs warning message I mentioned above.

Ok, thanks for confirming. Then I'm afraid the below patch should not
make any difference either.

One more thing you could try is to run with lockdep enabled if you don't
do that already and see if it detects any new issues.

Are you using nvme for the rootfs? Are there any messages in the logs
from when probing the nvme?

It's possible that changed timings may have exposed a bug elsewhere, but
let's see what lockdep says first.

> > One issue with the above commit that affects some systems (e.g. using
> > xen virtualisation) has been reported and fixed already. Could you try
> > applying the following and see if that helps?
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230223083800.31347-1-jgross@xxxxxxxx/
>
> Thanks, I will try and come back.

Johan