Re: [GIT PULL] TTY/Serial driver updates for 6.3-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Feb 25 2023 - 21:14:38 EST

On Sat, Feb 25, 2023 at 3:40 PM Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> For what it's worth, in the VM world (e.g., qemu, AWS, GCP, Azure,
> Linode, etc.) serial consoles are quite common way of debugging VM's,
> and as an emergency login path when the networking has been screwed up
> for some reason....

Everybody seems to be missing the point.

We don't make new drivers "default y" (or, in this case, "default SERIAL_8250".

It does not matter ONE WHIT if you have a serial device in your
machine. If your old driver was enabled and worked for you and you
used it daily, that is ENTIRELY IMMATERIAL to a new driver, even if
that new driver then happens to use some of the same infrastructure as
the old one did.

Linus