Re: [GIT PULL] TTY/Serial driver updates for 6.3-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Feb 24 2023 - 17:58:25 EST

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 2:32 PM Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > It's probably most legacy by now - it's a long time since I saw a
> > serial port being used outside of management ports, and even those are
> > often ethernet these days.
>
> Serial console is hard to replace

Yeah, but I don't think that should make it "default on" just because
somebody picked 8250.

I may have 8250 in my old config for my own legacy reasons, that
doesn't mean that when I upgrade a kernel, it should default new
drivers to be enabled too. My old legacy 8250 history does *not*
suddenly grow new hardware.

Side note: we have *truly* legacy things like that
SERIAL_8250_DEPRECATED_OPTIONS thing, which also - for historical
reasons - is "default y".

I guess that's just another sign of the whole "this is legacy" thing.

Linus