Re: [PULL] Networking for v6.3

From: Alexander Lobakin
Date: Wed Feb 22 2023 - 14:08:59 EST

From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 18:46:26 -0800

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 3:38 PM Jakub Kicinski <kuba@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/netdev/net-next.git tags/net-next-6.3
>
> Ok, so this is a bit nitpicky, but commit c7ef8221ca7d ("ice: use GNSS
> subsystem instead of TTY") ends up doing odd things to kernel configs.
>
> My local configuration suddenly grew this:
>
> CONFIG_ICE_GNSS=y
>
> which is pretty much nonsensical.
>
> The reason? It's defined as
>
> config ICE_GNSS
> def_bool GNSS = y || GNSS = ICE
>
> and so it gets set even when both GNSS and ICE are both disabled,
> because 'n' = 'n'.

It was me who originally suggested this and I forgot ice doesn't have
its own Kconfig file and doesn't guard its options under `if ICE`, sorry
=\ It would work if it had.

> Does it end up *mattering*? No. It's only used in the ICE driver, but
> it really looks all kinds of odd, and it makes the resulting .config
> files illogical.
>
> Maybe I'm the only one who looks at those things. I do it because I

FWIW I do as well, ironically enough :D
But I have `CONFIG_ICE=m` on all of my systems, so there was no chance
for me to notice this. Thanks!

> think they are sometimes easier to just edit directly, but also
> because for me it's a quick way to see if somebody has sneaked in new
> config options that are on by default when they shouldn't be.
>
> I'd really prefer to not have the resulting config files polluted with
> nonsensical config options.
>
> I suspect it would be as simple as adding a
>
> depends on ICE != n
>
> to that thing, but I didn't get around to testing that. I thought it
> would be better to notify the guilty parties.

Patch is on its way already, it just drops the opt and uses CONFIG_GNSS
directly.

> Anyway, this has obviously not held up me pulling the networking
> changes, and you should just see this as (yet another) sign of "yeah,
> Linus cares about those config files to a somewhat unhealthy degree".
>
> Linus

Olek