Re: [GIT PULL] s390 updates for 6.3 merge window

From: Heiko Carstens
Date: Wed Feb 22 2023 - 03:07:23 EST

On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 03:15:09PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 4:02 AM Heiko Carstens <hca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Also the shortstat when merging will look slightly different to the one
> > generated with 'git request-pull' below, since I merged our fixes branch
> > twice to avoid merge conflicts.
>
> Please don't do that unless the merge conflicts are really nasty - and
> when you do, please *explain* it.
>
> Looking at those two merges, I
>
> (a) see no sign of complex conflicts (the conflict diff is completely
> empty for both of them)
>
> (b) see zero explanation for why the merge exists at all
>
> Please consider merges to be real commits (they are!) and needing all
> the same commit messages explaining them that normal commits have
> (they do!).

Ok. The fixes branch was merged since other commits which were applied
relied on commits in the fixes branch.

But as you yesterday already outlined as reply to the hardening pull
request this rather should have been a separate topic branch, which then
would also allow for a proper merge commit message.

We will do that from now on for the s390 tree.