Re: [RFC] Support for Arm CCA VMs on Linux

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Date: Tue Feb 14 2023 - 12:14:35 EST

* Suzuki K Poulose (suzuki.poulose@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> We are happy to announce the early RFC version of the Arm
> Confidential Compute Architecture (CCA) support for the Linux
> stack. The intention is to seek early feedback in the following areas:
> * KVM integration of the Arm CCA
> * KVM UABI for managing the Realms, seeking to generalise the operations
> wherever possible with other Confidential Compute solutions.
> Note: This version doesn't support Guest Private memory, which will be added
> later (see below).
> * Linux Guest support for Realms
>
> Arm CCA Introduction
> =====================
>
> The Arm CCA is a reference software architecture and implementation that builds
> on the Realm Management Extension (RME), enabling the execution of Virtual
> machines, while preventing access by more privileged software, such as hypervisor.
> The Arm CCA allows the hypervisor to control the VM, but removes the right for
> access to the code, register state or data that is used by VM.
> More information on the architecture is available here[0].
>
> Arm CCA Reference Software Architecture
>
> Realm World || Normal World || Secure World ||
> || | || ||
> EL0 x-------x || x----x | x------x || ||
> | Realm | || | | | | | || ||
> | | || | VM | | | | || ||
> ----| VM* |---------||-| |---| |-||----------------||
> | | || | | | | H | || ||
> EL1 x-------x || x----x | | | || ||
> ^ || | | o | || ||
> | || | | | || ||
> ------- R*------------------------| s -|---------------------
> S || | | || ||
> I || | t | || ||
> | || | | || ||
> v || x------x || ||
> EL2 RMM* || ^ || ||
> ^ || | || ||
> ========|=============================|========================
> | | SMC
> x--------- *RMI* -------------x
>
> EL3 Root World
> EL3 Firmware
> Where :
> RMM - Realm Management Monitor
> RMI - Realm Management Interface
> RSI - Realm Service Interface
> SMC - Secure Monitor Call

Hi,
It's nice to see this full stack posted - thanks!

Are there any pointers to information on attestation and similar
measurement things? In particular, are there any plans for a vTPM
for Realms - if there were, it would make life easy for us, since we
can share some user space stuff with other CoCo systems.

Dave

--
Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert@xxxxxxxxxx / Manchester, UK