Re: [tip:x86/cache 9/13] arch/x86/kernel/cpu/resctrl/rdtgroup.c:1456:6: warning: variable 'h' set but not used

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Thu Feb 09 2023 - 04:54:22 EST

On Thu, Feb 09, 2023 at 11:06:34AM +0800, Philip Li wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the suggestions, we will think of this to continuously optimize the
> service. Right now, we try to build-test the patches that we can find a suitable base
> to apply the patches successfully, some of effort could fail. Then we only test them
> when they appears on repo. We will keep monitoring the patch testing status to see
> anything we can fix as well.

Cool, thanks.

I see you've started doing silly tests like subdirectory builds for W=
warnings, picking one such report at random from lkml:

https://lore.kernel.org/r/202302091432.VgittDjI-lkp@xxxxxxxxx

COMPILER_INSTALL_PATH=$HOME/0day COMPILER=gcc-12.1.0 make.cross W=1 O=build_dir ARCH=powerpc SHELL=/bin/bash drivers/spi/

and then it says

drivers/spi/spi-mpc52xx-psc.c:195:5: warning: no previous prototype for 'mpc52xx_psc_spi_transfer_one_message' [-Wmissing-prototypes]

Yes, this is all fine and dandy but such tests should be the lowest prio
eva! If you have a way to schedule by prio, those should wait until all
the other build tests have happened.

I don't know how your resources are spread out and whether you even can
do as many so I'm only reporting from my experience, in case you were
wondering what you could improve:

People push branches to their trees and wait for the robot to test them.
And they wait and wait. But instead, such silly warnings come.

So it would be a lot better if you could expedite such pushed branches'
build tests first and then the rest.

And then if there are no branches, submitted patchsets on the ML.

If you're trying to figure out what base to use, you can put a doc
somewhere telling people how to specify the base for you and they will
start doing it, you will parse the 0th message for that info and use the
base.

And the long-standing feature request we have: a simple web page
somewhere which says how far is it with testing. So that people can go
and look at it and know whether to wait for test results before sending.

The web page doesn't have to be anything special - just a table of
branches being tested at the moment.

Anyway, I thought I should give you some suggestions if you were looking
for some. :-)

Thanks for the testing work - it is appreciated!

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette