Re: [RFC v3 2/4] mm: move PG_slab flag to page_type

From: Mike Rapoport
Date: Wed Feb 08 2023 - 04:45:06 EST

On Fri, Feb 03, 2023 at 05:04:01PM +0100, David Hildenbrand wrote:

> > > If it could be done with less changes, I'll try to avoid that.
> >
> > Let me outline the idea I had for removing PG_slab:
> >
> > Observe that PG_reserved and PG_slab are mutually exclusive. Also,
>
> I recall that there are SetPageReserved() calls on pages allocated via slab.

I did a quick scan, and it seems that all allocated reserved pages come
from alloc_pages() or vmalloc().

BTW, looking at the current usage of SetPageReserved, it seems that some
are bogus/historical and some would justify a different page type if we are
to have 15 bits for PG_kernel.

--
Sincerely yours,
Mike.