Re: PPS functionality for Intel Timed I/O

From: Rodolfo Giometti
Date: Mon Jan 30 2023 - 08:46:37 EST

On 30/01/23 13:55, N, Pandith wrote:
Hi Rodolfo Giometti,

Hello.

This is regarding Intel Timed I/O device as PPS.

Intel Timed I/O is a precise device (10s of nanoseconds), that can send out pulses.
This is needed in IoT and server applications to measure offset between system clocks on multiple devices

Can you please provide some URLs where to get further info from about this device? I'd like to know how this device works and its interfaces towards the CPU.

We are planning to implement a driver, for PPS output functionality using Timed I/O device.

Great! :)

1. Is there any support from PPS framework to start/stop pulse generation.
If yes, can we get the Pin number, offset(start time) from user space ?

Nope, PPS signals are supposed to be always on. However you can start/stop pulses generation within the main driver of your device.

2. Further, this device has the capability to capture the input events (pulses, nanosecond precision).
The same PIN can work in either input or output mode.
Can there be an PPS client driver supporting both modes ?

I'm not sure to well understand what you mean, however a PPS client is a piece of code that captures PPS pulses and add a timestamp to them, while a PPS generator is a piece of code that (precisely) generates a PPS source according to the system's main clock (and not according to a peripheral's clock). Hope I've answered to your questions, if not feel free to ask more.

Ciao,

Rodolfo

--
GNU/Linux Solutions e-mail: giometti@xxxxxxxxxxxx